The Roman Catholic parish of St. Antony of Padua, in the Greenpoint area of Brooklyn, was established in 1856. In 1874, Patrick C. Keeley of Brooklyn designed the present Gothic Revival church, which is constructed of red brick with white limestone trim, and features a 240-foot spire.
In 1975, St. Alphonsus Church was merged into St. Anthony Church, after which the church was renamed St. Anthony – St. Alphonsus Catholic Church.
In 1982, the Greenpoint Historic District was designated by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Committee. St. Anthony – St. Alphonsus Church is within this district.